The XIV. International Scientific Conference
Human Capital and Investment in Education
was held on September 16th 2011
The venue for the conference was the new Congress Centre VSFS on the address:
Estonská Str. 500 (entrance Kodaňská Str.), 101 00 Praha 10 - Vršovice
The knowledge and experience from the existing 13 years of the international scientific conferences with the topic Human Capital and Investment in Education, held by the University of Finance and Administration and the Banking Academy have, since 1998, regularly shown the following in particular:
- Reforms in the sectors that generate and maintain human capital, i.e. primarily education and healthcare, are an integral part of the changes on the path to establishing the knowledge society.
- These reforms constitute an important part of the reforms of the social investment and social insurance systems, i.e. the funding of education, healthcare and pension insurance; the more the relationships among these areas are respected and utilised, the more successfully these reforms can be implemented.
- One of the key prerequisites for the success of the reforms in the above-mentioned areas is the application of such a method of funding the investments in education, notably tertiary education and subsequently also lifelong education, that would ensure effective involvement of the education service provider in the employment, on professional markets, of those who have graduated in the relevant forms of education.
- The implementation of reforms in the above areas faces various barriers in the individual countries, with economic theory providing effective instruments to identify and subsequently overcome those barriers.
- While theoretically and practically tackling the issues associated with the preparation and implementation of reforms in the sectors of acquiring and maintaining human capital, i.e. in funding the social investment and social insurance systems, which are supported from public sources, it is essential to exchange experiences among the EU countries as well as non-EU ones where those systems were being created and are being developed in the significantly different economic, cultural and historical contexts.
The expert guarantor of the conference
doc. Radim Valencik, CSc.
Preliminary Programme Committee
Prof. PhDr. Petr Matějů, Ph. D. Czech Republic (chairman) University of Finance and Administration, Czech Republic
Aleksander Aristovnik Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Chair of Economics and Public Sector Management, Faculty of Administrativ University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
RNDr. Petr Budinský, CSc., vice-rektor University of Finance and Administration, Czech Republic
Luisa Cerdeira, Chief of Cabinet of the Rector of the University of Lisbon, Portugal
Dr. Tomasz Dyczkowski, Faculty of Management, Computer science and Finance, Department of Controlling, Wroclaw University of Economics, Poland
Nawaz A. Hakro, Assistant Dean for Research, Graduate Studies and External Relations, University of Nizwa, Oman
Assoc. Prof. JUDr. Ivan Malý, CSc., decane of Faculty of Economics and Administrativ, Czech Republic
Prof. Ing. Juraj Nemec, CSc., Matej Bel university, The faculty of economics, Slovakia
Assistant Prof., Dr. Gábor Kertész, Budapest College of Management, Hungary
Primož Pevcin Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Chair of Economics and Public Sector Management, Faculty of Administrativ, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Assoc. Prof. Radim Valenčík, CSc., University of Finance and Administration, vice-decane of Faculty of Economic Studies Czech Republic
Assoc. Prof., Ing. Helena Vomáčková, CSc., Purkne university, The faculty of pedagogy, Czech Republic
Prof. Dr. Hans Vossensteyn, Executive Director and Research Co-ordinator at the Center for Higher Education Policy Studies of University of Twente, Netherlands.
Prof. Ing. Jaroslav Vostatek, CSc., University of Finance and Administration, Czech Republic
Prof. Jaroslaw Witkowski, vice-rektor for international cooperation, Wroclaw University of Economics, Poland
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ing. Menbere Workie, Vysoká škola manažmentu v Trenčíne/City University of Seattle, spol. s r.o.